Friday, July 22, 2011

day 1

I arrived in Fairbanks at about 1:45 am on Friday, June 22. Feng's boys picked me up and we went straight to the hospital. Let me back up by saying Thursday was a tough day and by the time my flight left, I splet from PHX to SEA and SEA to FAI. Anyways, I got to the hospital and he was in bed, sleeping. He is snoring so he's in a deep sleep. He's hooked up to morphine and gets an anxiety med for when he gets restless. For the most part, he seems to be pain free. When the nurses move him from side to side, he tends to get aggitated and it seems somewhat painful for him. That is when he gives himself a shot of morphine. Yeah....seriously, these laws are freaking RIDICULOUS! {no worries, he can do it cuz I make sure he is able to}.

Every couple of hours he opens his eyes and tries to lift his body up. I hold his hand, kiss his forhead, and tell him to relax, it is going to be ok. His face is starting to look a little more pale this afternoon. His blood pressure was low, blood sugar was not quite under 50 but close. This morning it was more like 70. His oxygen {levels or something like that} were about 70 (that was this evening). I hope this means he is coming closer to the end. Not that I want him to die but I don't want him to lay here this way for weeks on ends. His legs are not swollen, but his hands are now. The veins in his right arm are not working for the iv. So the IV has been moved to his left arm. The nurses have been amazing! I wish the staff on now could stay here until I leave.

Tonight, a priest came in and said a prayer for him. I told him we wanted to wait on his last rights (is that the name of the prayer)? He said it was simlar. He also mentione that he was an ex-Marine and that he was honored to be here with dad. He said that dad was a true American hero. I could not be more porud of my dad!!!

So for now, though we wait and keep him confortable.

No comments: