Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pulled Pork

So I searched for recipes on pulled pork and I came across a few but most were very similar. I opted for the 'easier' versions that included about 3-4 ingredients. I researched the best part of the pork for pulled pork as well. And for those of you wondering, for pulled pork the best part to use is the butt or the shoulder.

So here is what I came up with. It was tasted and approved...

7 lb. pork shoulder/butt
Lawry's Seasoning
20 oz bottle of coke
Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ Sauce (I used almost 46 oz, see below)

I seasoned the pork with Lawry's Seasoning and placed it in a gallon zip lock bag (yes it fit). Poured the 20 oz of coke into the bag and placed the pork in the refrigerator. I left the pork in the fridge for about 5-6 hours. Since I was serving this for lunch, I started the process about 6 pm the night before. I was still up at midnight and so I placed the pork, with the coke, in the crockpot and let it cook on low all night. At about 8:30 am (8-1/2 hours later) I pulled the pork out and shredded it. It pulled easily off the bone and away from the fat. After shredding, I put the pork back in the crockpot. {this is where crock pot bags come in handy... I pulled the one out with the fat and coke and replaced a brand new one for the shredded pork and bbq sauce, simple and easy... no mess). I used A LOT of BBQ sauce, about 46 oz of bbq sauce. Use the whole 28 oz bottle first then add more until you decide there is enough.

*I don't feel like the lawry's seasoning really did anything except waste my seasoning. So I'll leave that one up to you. I will probably leave that out next time. Someone else mentioned cooking the pork with an onion. I'm not a huge fan of onions but I may try it that way next time.

Buon Appetito!

No comments: