Sunday, February 03, 2013

Stir-Fry - chicken, zucchini, mushroom, and rice

I was going through my pinterest boards today for a good idea for dinner. There was a recipe for Chicken Cashew but it had to simmer in the crockpot for 3-4 hours. I didn't get in started in time so I decided to do my own thing. I have to say, it's not bad... not at all. 

I went to the store and picked up some chicken - they had it already cut thin and small, perfect for stir-fry. Ok, seriously, I will be buying my chicken like this as much as possible! I  have an extra container for piccata chicken later this week and it will be absolutely no work! Thank you Fresh and Easy for making my dinner nights so much quicker!

I also picked up some zucchini and mushroom. Mushrooms were already sliced so all I had left to do was slice the zucchini - that is simple!

Next, I put the basmati rice on (2 cups water to 1 cup rice). Bring the water to a boil, add rice. Bring back to a boil then simmer for about 45 mins. 

20 minutes prior to the rice being done- heat a pan with sesame oil (I added olive oil too but I think next time I'm just going to do all sesame oil). Toss in the chicken (I seasoned it, while in the pan, with salt, pepper, and garlic salt {next time it will be fresh garlic, I wasn't prepared}). Cook chicken. 

I removed the chicken from the pan then added the zucchini and mushroom. Sauteed until soft. 

This is when it hit me... why not add some of the ingredients of my original recipe. So I grabbed the soy sauce and brown sugar. I just dumped as much as I though necessary in the pan. Then, I remembered some recipes add worcestershire sauce, so I put a little of that in the pan too. All while still cooking the veggies. The sauce was boiling... I was excited. So I tossed the chicken back in to cook for a couple of minutes. 

My rice was done, so I removed it from the heat and set it to the side. Grabbed a bowl and made my dinner. 

It's actually pretty good. A little sweet and a little tang... not bad for a impromptu dinner night! I am hoping it's only better tomorrow for lunch!



No comments: